Friday, January 9, 2015

Book Review: Yes, Please

The biggest reason I chose this book is am an Amy Poehler fan. I love that she is funny, a feminist and very outspoken that girls should have opportunities in science and other academic fields. And the audio book is fun because she has some fun actors helping her to narrate it like Patrick Stewart, Carol Burnett and Kathleen Turner. (Also I love audio books because they make catching up on laundry and dishes more fun.) As I started listening to it I thought it was awesome that Amy Poehler is a mom of small children who works full-time who is passionate about life and I think she has some good points for those who trying to juggle all the busy things that fill our lives. Although there is a whole lot of raunchiness, and I did not like the book nearly as much as I was hoping that I would. I don't know that I would recommend it. (I did LOVE the chapter when she talking about making Parks & Rec. I also loved the chapter where she talked about visiting Haiti.) Having said that, I do think there are several worthwhile pieces of advice. So without further ado, advice and inspiring thoughts from Amy Poehler's book, Yes, Please

  • Discover what your 'currency' is. What aspect of life is really important to you? Let go of the things that aren't you.
  • More women should adopt the motto "Great for her, not for me."
  • As a woman, it takes years to find your voice and figure out who you really are.
  • Any painful experience helps you see things differently
  • Fighting aging is like the war on drugs. It's expensive, pointless and never ends.
  • Getting older means you get super powers. :) You're wiser, people notice you less and you can laugh at younger people doing stupid things.
  • Ignore what other people think, most people aren't paying attention to you anyway.
  • Write. Create. Take risks.
  • If you are afraid to look stupid you should probably go home.
  • It is easier to be brave when you are not alone.
  • Every mother needs a wife, someone to take care of you so you can take care of everyone and everything else. (Of course, that's easier said than done.)
  • Doing something together is more fun than doing it alone.
  • Other people are not medicine.
  • Everyone wants to hear your most embarrassing moment. You don't have to share.
  • There is a difference between talent and determination.
  • Ambivalence is key to success. You need to not care what other people think of you. You have to not care how you look. 
  • When someone is being rude or abusing their power, call them out on it.
  • Too often women try to tackle problems that are not our own. 
  • Take time to be in the moment.
  • Hopefully you can get to the place you need to be.
  • Drugs make folding your laundry bearable? (I'll take my audio books, thank you.)
  • Going outside in your pajamas makes you feel like you are breaking out of jail.
  • What truly heals is gratitude and tenderness.
  • A person is more than the tragedies that they experience.
  • You can change your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment